How Should Victims Handle A Slip And Fall Accident
Slip and fall accident can happen in all sorts of places, in a store, on the street, or at work. Sometimes these accidents can cause injuries that lead to enormous medical bills and weeks or months of time off work.
Unfortunately, you can’t always avoid having an accident like this; however, if you take the right action and get legal advice, you can ensure you’re not left out of pocket.
Why Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur?
Depending on the location, the cause of the accident is likely to be different. Some of these causes include:
- Ice, snow, or wet leaves on the sidewalk, steps, parking lot, or other walkways that haven’t been cleared.
- Wet and slippery floors due to spillages, recently cleaning, or tracked in water and mud.
- Damaged or dangerous floors and sidewalks. Cracked tiles, unfixed rugs, and loose paving stones are examples of damage that can lead to accidents.
- Trip hazards in unexpected locations, like the aisle of a store.
- Insufficient lighting makes it difficult for people to see trip hazards or to navigate stairs.
- Floors made of slippery materials like ceramic tiles. They’re slippery even when they aren’t wet and should be equipped with non-slip mats and not over-polished. Outdoors, landscaping materials like loose gravel can also cause trips and should be used with caution in areas where people walk.
- Poorly maintained or designed escalators and elevators can lead to severe injuries.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Slips and fall accidents result in injuries ranging from mild to severe, including:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal or nerve damage
- Cuts, bruises, and abrasions
- Soft tissue injuries (sprains and tears in tendons or ligaments)
- Hip fractures
- Knee damage
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
After you have had a fall, your primary concern is making sure you are physically okay. While that is entirely understandable, there are a few simple steps you can take that can dramatically improve your chances of gaining compensation for your injuries, should you choose to file a personal injury claim.
Seek Medical Assistance
Receiving the proper medical treatment should be your priority after falling over. You should see a doctor as soon as possible, even if you think you are fine. It takes time for the victim to notice certain injuries, especially when you factor in the fact that shock can mask symptoms.
Going to the doctor is essential, both to get the necessary treatment, but also because medical records play a crucial role in establishing liability in slip and fall cases. The more comprehensive your records, the better.
Report the Incident
Wherever you are when an accident occurs, at work, in a public building, or on the street, it’s paramount that you report it. Find the property owner or manager, especially if there are no witnesses present. Make sure the incident is written down and that you get a copy.
Collect Evidence and Witness Information
If you want to seek compensation after being injured in a slip and fall accident, you and your personal injury attorney will need to prove liability, a notoriously challenging task. The best way you can help your case is by collecting as much evidence from the scene of the incident as possible.
Take photos of the area where you fell. Pictures of icy patches, wet floors, and cracked sidewalks can help prove why you fell. When you get home, put the clothes you were wearing somewhere safe without washing them, since they could also be valuable evidence.
Exchange details with people who saw the accident so they can be contacted to act as witnesses. If possible, ask them to jot down what they saw in writing there and then. You should also write down your account of the incident, including as much detail as you can. Do this sooner rather than later; it’s easy to forget details as time passes.
Seek Legal Advice from a Slip and Fall Attorney
As soon as you are able, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. They will be able to give you advice, help you file a claim, and achieve the compensation you deserve. With the assistance of your attorney, you should be able to gain compensation for damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Personal injury and premises liability cases can be extremely complex and, if left to insurance companies, your damages will be seriously undervalued. Your injury lawyer will inform you of all your rights and fight for you to get the best result.
What to Avoid
Several actions can hurt your ability to win a lawsuit. Do not:
- Give statements to the insurance company before consulting with an attorney.
- Post about your accident on social media.
- Admit blame or apologize privately or publicly.
Finding a Personal Injury Attorney in Michigan
If you’re looking for skilled slip and fall attorneys in Michigan, Cochran, Kroll & Associates, P.C. are here for you. Our talented lawyers are experienced in all kinds of personal injury cases and will work hard for you to receive your rightful compensation.
For more information or to arrange a free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys, call our law firm on (866) 642-4529.
Disclaimer : The information provided is general and not for legal advice. The blogs are not intended to provide legal counsel and no attorney-client relationship is created nor intended.